domingo, 10 de enero de 2010

Openness in Higher Education

In february I will start a new Course: An Introduction to Artificial Intelligence to future Mathematical educators. I plan to open my Course. When I say Open, it signifies it will be fully opened to all. So my students will have freedom to deliver their homework written in papers, upload their digital homework to any free web site, at my Moodle classroom or any other media.

There will be only one restriction: Contents. As we study and work at a Faculty of Mathematics there is a content that we must being covered during our scholar semester. But yet, we can change our contents adding themes, and maybe reformulating topics and looking forward to deepening in some trends or relevant topics.

We will have a meeting maybe each week with videoconference media like Elluminate, Dimdim or another medium. Also, we will have face to face meetings because our class is scheduled with meetings at the classroom.

But my students will have freedom about how, what and why, they must do their work. We will meet on a circle of people. There will be no teacher neither students. We will be just learners.

I think I will be a good adviser due to my academic curricula, I am a Doctor in Computer Science with experience in the field of Artificial Intelligence but I will not going to assume for the first time the role of teacher.

I will not be asking questions to my students, instead of this, students will be asking questions and we will try to respond and find good answers.

Now, I know about others experiences in the whole world but I have seen they use specific web tools that students can not change. I believe these experiences are not sufficiently opened. We must allow more flexibility for working, including work over paper and pencil.

In the following days I will be posting here some explanations about how I will to plan this new experience.

My first language is spanish, so I beg your patience on my imperfect writing in english, I will try to do my best in my future writings.
Share/Bookmark

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario